The history of Ralf Ragnick and Jürgen Klopp dates back to 1997 in Germany, and Klopp has previously highlighted the current Manchester United boss as one of the most important influences in his coaching career.
– Our relationship has been put on hold now that he has become manager of Manchester United. I respect his work. He respects mine. I can’t make it a Klopp-Ragnick game, I don’t want it,” Jürgen Klopp said at today’s press conference.
The two biggest meet
Tuesday’s big game will be the first meeting outside Germany for the two coaches. The reverse finish, at Old Trafford in October, ended 5-0 for Liverpool. Not long after, Ole Gunnar Solskjær was sacked.
– Ralf tries to organize the team, giving them structure with the cages they have.
– It’s a big game, a big game, two of the biggest clubs in the world. There are clubs in Spain that say otherwise, but these are the two biggest clubs, big history, big game in history, hard struggle since I’ve been here.
Important match for both teams
Manchester United have won just one of their last three league games, but victory on Saturday means that they are in a battle for the top four. Liverpool are in the title race with Manchester City, United are battling Tottenham and Arsenal for the most important place in Europe.
– This time is another very important game for both teams, both fighting to be in the Champions League next season, or more.
Both coaches won 3-2 on April 16. Liverpool had to suffer a semi-final defeat against City, while United had only the focus of the league, but Klopp pointed out that this is a situation they have been in since January.
– We play mid-week and weekend, so we have done the same type of session before every game. Of course, I’d like more time for recovery and preparation, but that’s just wishful thinking. This is quite demanding on the players. We wouldn’t be in this situation if the players didn’t manage to handle it.
Coach doesn’t decide
Ralf Ragnick’s regime at Old Trafford has not been smooth. He has criticized the players several times, and now the report is clear that Ajax’s ‘Erik ten Hag will soon be announced as the new head coach.
– You can see the changes he made and the parts he fixed. When we were preparing for the United game I didn’t think about Ralf at the time. It’s a very important game, but the coaches probably won’t score the decisive goal.
Klopp 2-5-6 (14-21 goal difference) against nine-year-old Ragnick.
In a previous interview, Ragnick said:
– My Hoffenheim team played against Jürgen’s Borussia Dortmund in 2008. We beat them 4-1, and Jürgen said a week later, before the next game, that our style was exactly the football he wanted to play with Dortmund.
Over the two years, he has changed the team, and made them play that style, and finally the success came.
Liverpool – Manchester United kick-off at 21:00 on Tuesday on TV 2 Sport Premium 1 / Play.
“Hardcore zombie fan. Incurable internet advocate. Subtly charming problem solver. Freelance twitter ninja.”