Flying annoyed after bad conditions: – Why can’t you just wait?
Robert Johansson and Marius Lindvik failed to qualify for the second round of Big Hill at Raw Air in Lillehammer on Thursday. Dawid Kubacki of Poland won ahead of Anze Lanisek and Daniel Tschofenig.
Halvor Egner Granerud didn’t quite reach the top and finished sixth, but still led the summary as the Raw Air circus moved to Vikersund. Stefan Kraft, who had a good chance in the Raw Air summary, had his chances spoiled after jumping 113 meters in difficult conditions.
Now Lindvik is furious.
– I have no chance, quite simply. Can’t you just wait? Can’t the jury hold me and get me off the bar? There is absolutely no hope, Lindvik told NRK.
Power is also mentioned.
– I don’t understand the jury today. It surpasses my Raw Air rating and World Cup rating. That’s fine, Kraft told NRK.
He was supported by his team-mate Halvor Egner Granerud and Germany’s Markus Eichenbichler.
– The fact that he got the green light in such conditions, I think it’s special. When it changes so much, one has to wait. He didn’t stand a chance, Granerud told NRK.
– Today was unfair, said Eichenbichler about his condition.
Lindvik has been battling an illness for the past few days but was mobilized to compete in the Raw Air competition. He did it even sadder.
– Now I’m annoyed. I was sick all day and mobilized to jump, and this is what I got. Both yesterday and today I had the worst relationship ever, says Lindvik.
Race manager Sandro Pertile wouldn’t call the competition unfair, but it’s not demanding.
– Everyone got the green light inside the corridor, but it took a few seconds before the jumpers took off, and with today’s situation, the wind changed. Some are lucky, others are less fortunate. We aim to make show jumping fair, but days like this are part of our sport. We don’t compete in gyms, Pertile told NRK.
– Can the competition time be changed?
– No, you can’t because of TV time. It was not an option, he further said.
“Infuriatingly humble coffee guru. Travel practitioner. Freelance zombie fanatic. Certified problem solver. Food scholar. Student.”