Renowned Republican Senator Lindsey Graham this weekend made his third visit to the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv.
There he is said to have studied Ukraine’s military plans, he said Political. This included the much-discussed Ukrainian counterattack plan.
And Graham was impressed by what he heard.
– Russia will be in for an unpleasant surprise. In the coming days you will see quite an impressive display of power from Ukraine, Graham told a political website.
The Republican politician did not specify when or how the retaliatory strike would be carried out. However, he is optimistic on behalf of Ukraine and believes they can get Russia to withdraw from the country within a year.
– The decision has been made
Talk of a Ukrainian counterattack has intensified in recent weeks and yesterday President Volodymyr Zelenskyj signaled that the timing of the attack was clear.
– This is the most important. The time when we should move forward. Because we will. The decision has been made, Zelenskyy said.
Zelenskyj adviser Mykhajlo Podoljak confirmed to CNN earlier in May that the country had started preparatory operations.
– Everything that is happening now is the beginning of a counterattack, a necessary prerequisite, he said.
Graham described the leadership in Ukraine now as much more optimistic than when he first visited the country. He described Zelenskyi’s administration as stunned at the time, while now he sees confidence in the Ukrainian president.
Life is threatened
Graham himself became the focus of headlines in Russia when a manipulated clip of his meeting with Zelenskyj was shown during the Russian TV debate.
In the clip, Graham appears to be saying the following:
“Russia is dying. It was the best money we’ve ever spent.”
But the clip has been manipulated, the original footage from Reuters shows.
Just seconds after Graham declared that “Russia is dying” on the battlefield in Ukraine, the senator said that “it’s the best money we’ve ever spent.”
Margarita Simonjan, editor-in-chief of the English-language Russian television channel RT, called on Sunday night for Graham to be killed over the clip.
Russia also issued an arrest warrant for the US senator.
He took it all in with crushing calm:
– Knowing that my support for Ukraine has drawn the ire of the Putin regime makes me very happy. I will continue to support and for a free Ukraine until every Russian soldier is driven from Ukrainian territory, Graham said in a statement on Monday.
“Hardcore zombie fan. Incurable internet advocate. Subtly charming problem solver. Freelance twitter ninja.”