Data storage and recording
By visiting this website, some technical data about your internet connection and browser is stored. This data can be categorized as follows:
- Cookies in your browser
- Technical info on the server
- User information in database
Cookies are a mechanism by which your browser can handle information it receives from websites, and then sends it back to websites later. This is done automatically without the user having to think about it.
Cookies may serve several functions, such as tracking settings, as which user you are logged in, what you access, helping to ensure that you receive the right content, tracking ad impressions and more.
Cookies make it possible to track those settings and other things over time, making the information more accessible on repeated visits to the website. Cookies are also used for temporary handling of user-specific information when visiting different parts of the same website.
Cookies are stored automatically by your browser as small text files on your computer. You can change the settings for how cookies will be handled in your browser.
Cookies can be provided by any type of content on the website, be it text pages, images and more. Cookies are only sent back to the site from which you got them, not to other sites.
This website stores cookies to manage three levels of functionality:
- Critical cookies are used to track user information, access, some personal settings and more. Without this, the website will not function as intended.
- Analytics cookies are used to track website traffic, which sections are most popular, which sections are used most frequently, and much more. Some of these are third party cookies provided by external service providers. Cookies for analytical functions are used to improve the website (which is constantly being developed), but are not essential to the functionality of the website.
- Advertising cookies are used by internal and third party advertising systems to track and track ad impressions.
There is a statutory requirement that this information be made available to you as a user of the website that uses the cookie.
When you visit a website, the web server will record some technical information such as your IP address, which browser you are using and the time each time you request data from the server i.e. when you click an internal link and load a new website or related data such as font , images, various scripts required for the website to work.
This data is only stored for a certain period of time to perform troubleshooting and error correction in the system, and is never shared with newspaper employees or third parties.
We store some information about you as a user. No sensitive information is stored on this website, but simple contact information that you provide when creating a user account or purchasing services in the online newspaper will be stored in our database. This is required to be able to provide services to you. This data is deleted when you delete your user account.
About whom do we store data?
If you visit this website without registering a user account or subscribing, the following data about you is stored:
- Some technical information such as IP address and browser are stored in web server logs. This technical information is stored for 180 days, and is necessary for the service to function and to ensure security. This data is never disclosed to newspaper employees or third parties.
- Google Analytics counts page views to maintain visitor statistics. This information is anonymized and cannot be used to track you.
- Certain third party services such as downloaded fonts and scripts may log your IP address and other information on external servers.
- Cookies are set to identify you as a user while browsing the website. These are deleted when you close your browser, or after 360 minutes of inactivity at the latest.
Logged in users and customers:
If you choose to create a user account and/or subscribe to the online newspaper, the following information will also be stored about you:
- Name, address and other contact information that you provide yourself in the registration process. This data is stored until you delete your user account.
- Information about your subscription, e.g. when it was purchased, how to pay for it, a few digits from your credit card, the duration of the subscription, and which subscription you have. This data is stored until the user account is deleted.
- Simple data about which articles you have read and how many articles you have read. These are used to improve our content and are deleted if you delete your user account.
NB: After data is deleted, it can still be stored for up to 180 days in a backup. Backups are stored with high security and restricted access, and are required to be able to perform troubleshooting and ensure the safety of users and computer systems.
The following general conditions apply if you have created user accounts and/or subscriptions:
When you subscribe to Nye Troms, you and your family can read the newspaper both on paper and digitally on PCs, mobile phones and tablets. As a subscriber, you also get access to e-newspapers (paper newspapers in electronic format).
You get a paper edition every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Our local news is always available on PC, mobile and tablet. As a new user, you will be periodically emailed newsletters. If you do not wish to receive newsletters, you can easily unsubscribe from the service, either directly in the newsletter or in the top menu of our website.
Subscriptions run until cancelled. We will terminate your subscription if you do not pay.
We want broad and interesting debates from you readers, and you can give your opinion on many things. However, we have some guidelines that you should follow:
- Show courtesy when commenting on an issue or expressing yourself in our discussion forums.
- Avoid inappropriate personal characteristics and swear words. Stay to the point.
- We do not accept opinions that: are deemed to be harassing, violate privacy, conflict with Norwegian law, relate to illegal texts and materials, or which make unfair references to people and groups based on appearance, race or gender.
- Contact us if you believe there has been a violation of our guidelines
- Nye Troms reserves the right to edit or remove comments where against our guidelines. Users who repeatedly violate our guidelines may be banned.
On July 1, 2018, requirements for the EU’s new data protection regulations (GDPR) came into effect in Norway. With us, we have stored information about you which we believe is necessary for us to deliver newsletters to you, provide you with access to our online newspapers and/or customer portal, send news alerts to you via SMS or email, customize user-content friendly, send you invoices, and provide you with the latest offers from us or our partners.
Therefore we have registered the following information:
Customer name, street and postal address, email, phone number and which subscription you have.
We maintain this information properly for as long as you are a customer, and for a reasonable time after the end of the customer relationship with us.
If you have questions about the information we hold about you, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 77 83 79 00.
As a logged in user, you can view and download all relevant stored data about yourself.
You do this in “My profile”.
We use Google’s advertising infrastructure and services. You can find information about Google services and how you can influence Google’s use of personal data at: https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites. If you have a Google account, you also have the option to change your private ad settings at: https://myaccount.google.com.
Third party actors
Here you will find information about our partners:
As a user of this website, you may contact the newspaper to have your data released and/or deleted.
If you have a user account/subscription, you can go to the user profile and download saved data, and delete the user account and related data at any time.
You can also clear all local data in your browser. The procedure for this varies between different browsers and devices.
Recommendations: Using YourOnlineChoices.com’s EU service, you can control to some extent how different advertising providers track you, as well as read many great tips on how you can customize which ads are shown. Open YourOnlineChoices.com in a new window.
NB: Certain important system data found in, for example, web server logs will not be able to be deleted upon request, but this will be deleted automatically after a certain amount of time according to the information above.
If you press REJECT, no cookies will be stored in your browser and no data about you will be recorded in our database. It also means we can’t know whether you’ve agreed or not, so you’ll see this warning on every page you visit. Technical information (web server logs) will still store your IP address and browser information, but these will continue to be deleted as described above.
“Hardcore zombie fan. Incurable internet advocate. Subtly charming problem solver. Freelance twitter ninja.”