The world’s sixth player’s health problems never ended. Matteo Berrettini, who had to withdraw at the end of last season from the domestic Champions Tournament in Turin and February’s event in Acapulco, Mexico, due to an abdominal muscle injury, underwent surgery. The aching right hand is to blame this time.
He eliminated Berrettini from the ATP 1000 which was taking place in Miami. “We consulted the team and medical experts. After several x-rays and examinations, we decided that the best way for a quick and complete recovery is with a minor operation,” the 25-year-old Italian said on his Instagram.
Last year’s Wimbledon finalist underwent an intervention on Tuesday. “The operation went well. I’m happy for it. The doctors and the team have already discussed the possibility of my return to the field,” Berrettini said. But that is not yet specific. “Once the final plans are known, I will inform them,” he promised.
Together with the ATP Cup team, Berrettini appeared in this year’s event as many as five events. He did well at the Australian Open Grand Slam, where he lost in the semifinals to then-champion Rafael Nadal. In the last tournament at Indian Wells, he lost in the round of 16 to Serbian Kecmanovich.
“Certified bacon geek. Evil social media fanatic. Music practitioner. Communicator.”