- Brighton – Manchester United 4-0
Manchester United have hit new lows after losing 4-0 to Brighton on Saturday.
Cristiano Ronaldo is desperate. Fans shouted that neither he nor his team-mates deserved to wear the United shirt.
During the match, Samuel Luckhurst – the chief writer of local newspaper Manchester Evening News – announced that United supporters chanted Ole Gunnar Solskjær:
– United fans are now singing Solskjær’s name, apparently in solidarity with the fact that he has to coach this team.
United fans are now chanting Solskjaer’s name, apparently in solidarity with having to manage this squad. #mufc
– Samuel Luckhurst (@samuelluckhurst) May 7, 2022
The message on Twitter quickly received several thousand “likes”.
The Norwegian was sacked as manager in November last year. But the decision at hand has gone from bad to worse for the Old Trafford giants. Last season, the team finished second in the Premier League and played the final in the Europa League.
This is the result that appears as “paradise” today.
– To help me. Brighton play fantastic football. This is in contrast to Manchester United, who are responsible for the worst game of the season. It’s a bit of an achievement, soccer legend Gary Lineker said during the game.
– Gary Lineker @ (@GaryLineker) May 7, 2022
The interim manager, Ralf Rangnick, also highlighted Solskjær’s achievements after the humiliation. He compared what happened to the 4-1 loss to Watford on November 20 last year. It was the nail in the coffin for Solskjær.
– I remember watching the game against Watford, who have now been relegated. “The game was very similar to what happened today,” Rangnick said.
– For me, the problem is how to defend ourselves as a team. If you don’t defend yourself properly – and give yourself all the space and time in the world – then this is the result.
Manchester United are now guaranteed no Champions League place next season. The team is sixth and still has a chance to play in the Europa League.
Some pointed out that Cristiano Ronaldo just stood there shaking his head at what happened against Brighton.
The Manchester United result sent shockwaves through Football England.
– Where the daily besserwisserne for a long time will fire Solskjær… Don’t hear anything about how much better Manchester United are with the new manager now, Rosenborg boss Kjetil Rekdal wrote on Twitter.
Where are the besserwisserne who every day for a long time will fire Solskjær…. Don’t hear anything about how much better Manchester United are with the new Manager now.
– Kjetil Rekdal (@RekdalKjetil) May 7, 2022
The new manager, Erik ten Hag, has a big job ahead of him as he enters the summer.
To stop the weekly embarrassment of a once proud club.
“Hardcore zombie fan. Incurable internet advocate. Subtly charming problem solver. Freelance twitter ninja.”