The Tjalve girl clocked 55.32 at the Olympic Stadium. Fifth place is up one place from the last time he was in an international championship final. Iuel finished sixth at the Amsterdam EC in 2016.
Six years later, he’s in the medal fight to the last hurdle. A bad landing left him slightly off balance.
– There’s a bit of a stop. “I came in badly and landed a bit abruptly, so I lost a lot of speed there,” Iuel told NTB afterwards.
He doubted a better transition would give the precious metal.
– I still have a few good tenths for medals, so it probably won’t help with better hurdles. It’s boring that yesterday’s time was enough for today’s medals, but that’s easy to say. I know there are a lot of people who run worse these days.
On Thursday, Iuel lowered his personal record to 54.68 in the semifinals. Like in the WC earlier this summer, he did it with two hundred.
Iuel booked his ticket to the final in Munich with the best of the two advancing on time. The next day, he recorded the weakest best score in the field of eight runners.
Nevertheless, she finished fifth and improved Norway’s top women’s position at the European Championships in a long hurdle.
– Yes, it was fun. “On paper I’m no better than number ten or eleven, and then fun could be a little better,” said Iuel.
He has Leif Olav Alnes as his coach. He immediately came with a lot of praise after the finish line.
– I think this is good. Line one is a bit demanding. It’s brilliant, he told NRK.
Bol won the golden double
Femke Bol of the Netherlands became European champions at 52.67 on Friday. He also won the previous 400 meters flat in the championship.
Behind Bol, there are two Ukrainian medals. Viktoriya Tkachuk took silver with a time of 54.30, while Anna Ryzhykova won bronze with a time of 54.86.
Line Kloster was seen as a potential medal candidate before the EC, but was not at the top level in the semi-finals and was eliminated. He is 1.72 seconds behind the Norwegian record (53.91) he set in July.
Iuel hopes to further improve his personal record before the end of the season.
– Yesterday’s race (semi-finals) was far from perfect, and especially when running there was a bit of a push. It’s hard to say exactly how much is left to take, but it will be interesting to see if I can take another small step.
“Infuriatingly humble coffee guru. Travel practitioner. Freelance zombie fanatic. Certified problem solver. Food scholar. Student.”