Angry Russian tennis star: – Toxic – VG

NO WELCOME: Russia’s Andrei Rublyov won his first game in the gravel at the French Open on Monday. But he will not be allowed to play at Wimbledon in July.

PARIS (VG) Russia’s Andrei Rublyov (24) is still furious that he and his compatriot will not be allowed to participate at Wimbledon.

Published:

He had run into ostracism before, he had not become any gentler.

– When we have toxic conditions like now, only bad things will happen. When the tournament goes his way, nothing good will happen, Rubljov said at an international news conference after his first match at the French Open.

On the pebbles in Paris, Russian and Belarusian players were allowed to participate under neutral flags.

Rublyov has taken a firm stand against the war in Ukraine. The day after Russia’s invasion of the neighboring country, Rublyov wrote “Please don’t go to war” on the camera lens, sending a message to the world during the tournament in Dubai.

  • French Open with Casper Ruud featured on Discovery+, as well as Eurosport Norway and MAX.

Rulbjov beat South Korea’s Soon-woo Kwon after two hours and 56 minutes on Monday. After that, he went on a rampage against Russia not being allowed to play Wimbledon this summer. The ATP and WTA (men’s and women’s tennis organizations) have allowed Russian and Belarusian players not to use the flag or play the national anthem. VG was present in the press room when Rublyov vented his frustration.

– Wimbledon broke ATP rules. They have a deal. They can’t solve it. I think it’s about showing that they can’t do what they want. But it’s about teamwork, said Rublyov enthusiastically.

The ATP and WTA have decided that no player will earn points for the world rankings at Wimbledon. Rublyov is number seven in the world, five points clear of Casper Ruud in 8th place. Ranking is important considering how much resistance you get in the first round of the tournament. Rubljov fears the Grand Slam tournaments (French Open, Wimbledon, Australian Open and US Open) will run together and create separate tours after points battles and exclusions.

– This will ruin the sport of tennis. It’s just a way of working together, and not having a toxic relationship, says Rublyov.

Wimbledon wrote on April 20 that they could not allow the Russian regime to profit from Russia’s participation after Belarusian athletes at Wimbledon, due to the global profile of the tournament. The main reason for the exception was Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and also set a precedent set by the British authorities, which also imposed severe sanctions on Russia and Belarus.

Here’s how Casper Ruud’s opponent Jo-Wilfried Tsonga reacted when he retired after losing to the Norwegian on Tuesday:

Rublyov doesn’t think the biggest star will ever take down Wimbledon.

– The top players, Novak (Djokovic) and Rafa (Rafael Nadal) are not playing for points or money, they are playing to become the first in history in the number of Grand Slams. But it’s important to work together, if we don’t work together we will fall apart, said Rulbjov.

Nadal has 21 Grand Slam titles, Djokovic and Roger Federer have 20 each.

– What Roger, Rafa and Novak have done for tennis so far, we must respect. All tennis success is due to these three players. They have stood up to all the attention and given tennis their best years. Prize money goes up because of them and more people follow because of them, but it’s usually teamwork that prevails, Rubljov said.

Both Djokovic and Nadal criticized the All England Lawn Tennis Club for banning Russian and Belarusian players. “Drastic and very unfair”, Nadal said. “Madness”, in Djokovic.

Moscow-based Rublyov remains grateful that he can compete, in many Russian and Belarusian sports completely banned.

– I’m lucky in this situation. I can travel and play tennis. I’m very lucky because the audience is still kind to me. They understand. It’s a good feeling. “I’m grateful and very lucky,” said Rubljov in the press room just below ground level at the massive Roland Garros facility.

WIN: Viktoryja Azarenka beat Romania’s Ana Bogdan 2-1 in her first-round match in Paris on Monday.

It also means that two Belarusians Arijna Sabalenka, who is world number seven, and Viktoryja Azarenka, world number 15, will not be allowed to participate at Wimbledon. Azarenka sits on the player selection.

– No matter what I say, it will be criticized. So I don’t want to talk. “I want to do what I think is right, that I can help people, but after all, I’m here to do my job,” Azarenka said at a news conference on Monday.

Rublyov met Federico Delbonis of Argentina in the second round in Paris.

Britney Kirk

"Infuriatingly humble coffee guru. Travel practitioner. Freelance zombie fanatic. Certified problem solver. Food scholar. Student."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.