(Alejandro Davidovich Fokina – Holger Rune 3–6, 6–4, 6–3, 4–6, 6–7) Tennis star Holger Rune (20) was furious during his third round match at Wimbledon but fought on after Aneke’s mother left tribune.
The path to progress is anything but dramatic.
– It’s one of the most fun games I’ve ever played. That was really crazy, and I’m so tired now that I don’t know what to say, said Rune DR Sporten.
According to Danish Ekstra Bladet and BT, Rune shouted at his own people in the stands after losing in the third set to Spaniard Alejandro Davidovic Fokina. This caused mother and manager Aneke Rune and coach Lars Christensen to leave the stands.
– It’s driving me crazy. I’m so frustrated with this nonsense, said Rune as his Spanish opponent stepped up his game and won the second and third sets, according to Extra Bladet.
The same newspaper wrote that Aneke Rune told Radio Danmarks that she and Christensen left their seats so the tennis star could focus on what was happening on the court. He is said to have sarcastically shouted “you are so wise, you are so wise” at the coach.
In last year’s French Open quarter-final against Casper Ruud, the Dane also asked his mother to leave the stands during the match:
The fifth and decisive set was decided by a “super tiebreaker” (first person to score 10 points) after 6–6 in games. There, Rune switched to progress after going under 5–8.
But also in the tiebreak, the Dane caused quite a stir. As Davidovich Fokina moved up to 8–5, Rune wanted to challenge the last ball ruled. He didn’t understand, because the referee thought he was too late to challenge.
– What do you mean? Why can’t I challenge? Rune asked the judge.
– It’s not my fault that you can’t hear, continued the Dane.
– It’s not your fault, but still the problem, answered the judge.
After discussing, Rune was tireless and took five points straight away. Davidocich Fokina surprised with an underarm serve at 8–8 in the tiebreaker, but Rune read the serve early and earned a match point – which he took full advantage of.
The Spaniard had two match points earlier in the deciding set but the Dane saved both, the last after serving an ace.
Early in the match, Extra Bladet also reported that the Holger Rune was “red with rage”. The 20-year-old is known for his big temper, and, among other things, has been involved in several conflicts with referees on the ATP tour this season:
Norwegian tennis star – and Scandinavian rival Rune – Casper Ruud become knocked out of Wimbledon on Thursday. Ruud also participated in doubles at the tournament with William Blumberg and won in the first round Saturday morning, but withdrew hours after advancing.
The cause is inflammation of the shoulder.
– He has been struggling with a bit of inflammation in his shoulder since the French Open, everything is going well, but it will take time, wrote father and coach Christian Ruud in a text message to VG the previous Saturday.
“Infuriatingly humble coffee guru. Travel practitioner. Freelance zombie fanatic. Certified problem solver. Food scholar. Student.”